Ontario is proud to recognize top amateur athletes and coaches, whose outstanding performances in both national and international arenas have inspired people across the province. The 2012 Ontario Sport Awards celebrate the contributions of athletes, coaches, officials, volunteers and corporate sponsors who support amateur sport in Ontario.
This year’s finalists include:
- Male Athlete of the Year – Derek Drouin (Athletics), Mark Oldershaw (Canoe), Adam van Koeverden (Kayak), Patrick Chan (Figure Skating)
- Female Athlete of the Year – Phylicia George (Athletics), Rosannagh MacLennan Trampoline ), Diana Matheson (Soccer)
- Male Athlete with a Disability of the Year – Jason Dunkerley (Athletics ), Patrick Anderson (Wheelchair Basketball), Garett Hickling (Wheelchair Rugby)
- Female Athlete with a Disability of the Year – Virginia McLachlan (Athletics), Robbi Weldon (Para-Cycling), Summer Mortimer (Para-Swimming)
Winners will be announced and recognized at a gala event on April 18, 2013 in Toronto.
Recognizing outstanding athletes and celebrating their achievements supports the new Ontario government’s efforts to build a stronger province where everyone has the opportunity to succeed.
- Established in 1965, the Ontario Sport Awards honour outstanding achievements in Ontario amateur sport. It is the highest recognition for sport excellence in the province.
- Finalists are nominated by their Provincial/Multi Sport Organization and winners are chosen by the Sport Awards Selection Committee, a group of former athletes and sport administrators from across Ontario.
- Previous recipients include Heather Moyse (bob sledging), Priscilla Lopes-Schlieppe (athletics), Eric Lamaze (show jumping), Patrick Chan (figure skating), Donovan Bailey (athletics), Silken Laumann (rowing) and Lennox Lewis (boxing).
- The 2015 Pan/Parapan American Games will create thousands of construction jobs, improve sports infrastructure and attract over 250,000 athletes, coaches and tourists to Ontario
The new Ontario Government commends the athletes, coaches, volunteers and sponsors for their dedication to athletic excellence. Ontario Sport Awards celebrate the achievements of these talented individuals who inspire healthier living and attract fans and sports enthusiasts to our province moving our economy forward. Congratulations to all our finalists on your remarkable achievements.”