Milos Raonic loses at Monte Carlos Masters to Jarkko Nieminen

Wednesday, April 17, 2013

MONTE CARLO–Milos Raonic’s hopes for early success on the clay court start stalled with a 6-3, 1-6, 7-6 (7-3) loss to Jarkko Nieminen on Wednesday in the second round of the Monte Carlo Masters.

Raonic, the 12th seed from Thronhill, Ont., had been bidding to duplicate the career-best third-round showing at the Monte Carlo Country Club he achieved in 2011.

“It was a tight match, I’m quite disappointed with his loss,” Raonic said. “I had a lot more opportunities and I didn’t take advantage of them or make the most of them today.

“I like the way I was playing in the second set, I was a lot more aggressive and that’s what I needed against a guy like him. But in the third I missed on a few key shots and that really made the difference. It all came down to a few critical errors.”

Nieminen, a match-tough campaigner ranked 49th, took full advantage of 40 unforced errors from Raonic to advance.

Raonic, a major part of Canada’s win over Italy in the Davis Cup world group quarter-finals, had been expecting a tough match against Nieminen, almost a decade his senior.

Raonic now stands 14-5 on the season with a title in San Jose two months ago. After his doubles with Australian Bernard Tomic is done, he heads off to his training base of Barcelona for next week’s clay event.

“I have some work to do on clay, getting more used to the surface again,” Raonic said. “I need more matches and more practice, I need to work on improving for next week.”

It was the second meeting between the two, Nieminen beat Raonic indoors last September in Bangkok, a match which the Raonic had said he was hoping to improve upon.

Raonic lost serve in the sixth game of the first set as Nieminen eventually took the early lead after a 42-minute opening chapter. But Raonic stormed back in the second with his only two breaks of the match, to level at one set apiece.

The third went into a tiebreaker,where Nieminen used his years of clay experience to grab a 4-2 lead and put the pressure on Raonic.

Raonic, ranked 15th in the world, then sent an overhead shot wide to trail 2-5. Nieminen quickly nailed down four match points, but sent backhand into the net on the first. He came good on is second to end the win in just under two hours as Raonic sent a backhand cross-court return wide.

The Canadian Press

News Category: 

Latest News

  • September 22, 2020
    For Immediate Release TORONTO (September 22nd, 2020) - It is with mixed emotions that we announce that Dr. Doug Richards has made the decision to step down and retire from his role as CSIO ’s Chief Medical Officer. Doug has been an integral part of...
  • September 16, 2020
    The Canada Games Council and the 2021 Canada Games Host Society have decided to postpone the 2021 Canada Summer Games until the summer of 2022 September 16, 2020 (Niagara, ON ) – The Canada Games Council ( CGC ) and the 2021 Canada Games Host...
  • September 10, 2020
    News Release Ontario Supporting Athletes in their Quest for Gold Funding will help offset training and living expenses as athletes and coaches prepare to compete September 10, 2020 Heritage, Sport, Tourism and Culture Industries TORONTO — The...
  • September 8, 2020
    Kayla Alexander’s career on and off the basketball court has been a real page turner. In February, she helped Team Canada qualify for Tokyo 2020 after coming back from two separate knee injuries. She’s been playing in the WNBA since 2013, spending...
  • August 26, 2020
    For Immediate Release TORONTO (August 26, 2020) I am extremely pleased to announce that James Brough is the successful candidate for CSIO ’s new Director, Performance Pathways position. After a very thorough search process, the Selection Panel felt...