Wheelchair Basketball Canada (WBC) has been awarded the rights to host the 2014 Women’s World Wheelchair Basketball Championships (2014WWWBC) June 20-28, 2014, in Toronto, Canada. Over 400 athletes, coaches, officials, delegates, and volunteers will attend the event that features 12 participating countries.
The 2014 WWWBC Organizing Committee is seeking a dynamic, energetic and dedicated individual to contribute meaningfully to the organization and delivery of the event in the position of Event Manager. Reporting to the Event Chair and Tournament Director, the Event Manager will be a key member of the Organizing Committee. Working with the key leads in each of the following functional areas: Operations, Sport Technical, Finance and Administration, Marketing and Communications, Protocol and Ceremonies and Legacy, the Event Manager will be responsible for the operational and logistical planning and delivery of the event.
Position: Event Manager - 2014 Women’s World Wheelchair Basketball Championship
Term: Full time contract January 2014 - July 2014
Deadline: November 25, 2013
Location: Ottawa, Ontario relocating to Toronto
Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Coordinate registration and accreditation for all teams, ITO’s and VIP’s;
- Coordinate logistics including transportation, accommodation, and food services for all teams, ITO’s, VIPs and LOC;
- Coordinate merchandise program;
- Assist with gifting and awards;
- Manage technology needs.
- Sport Technical
- Manage the set up and venue overlay;
- Manage Team Services including the coordination of game and practice schedules, meeting rooms, medical, wheelchair repair and storage;
- Recruit, train and schedule Minor Officials;
- Manage timing, scoring and results systems.
- Finance and Administration
- Provide administrative assistance to the LOC and key volunteer leads;
- Coordinate family and friends program;
- Assist with information research as required by the LOC;
- Prepare meeting materials and compile minutes and meeting notes as required ;
- Create a final report summarizing all operations as well as lessons learned;
- Work closely with Volunteer Lead in developing program and ensuring all volunteer requirements are met.
- Work as a liaison between, and provide support to the tournament organizing committee, key volunteer leads, partners, officials, participants and volunteers;
- Assist with Game Presentation including opening and closing ceremonies;
- Assist with the implementation of the Fan Experience plan;
- Work closely with ticketing lead in implementing ticketing program;
- Liaise with the International Wheelchair Basketball Federation (IWBF) ;
- Liaise with key community leaders and partners;
- Coordinate all necessary reporting;
The Event Manager shall also undertake other tasks, activities and responsibilities as he/she deems to be appropriate to fulfill the responsibilities of the position and as agreed to by the 2014 WWWBC Organizing Committee.
Skills and Abilities Required:
- Event management experience required;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Excellent organizational, time management skills and attention to detail required;
- Strong computer skills;
- Flexibility and initiative;
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team;
- Ability to take direction and multi-task in a fast paced environment;
- Familiarity with wheelchair basketball considered an asset;
- Experience working with volunteer committees would be considered an asset; and
- Oral and written fluency in both official languages would be considered an asset;
Terms of Contract
- 7 month contract;
- Based in Ottawa to start and relocate to Toronto closer to event;
Travel will be required between Ottawa and Toronto.
Please forward your application including CV, references and salary expectations by November 25, 2013 to:
6 Antares Drive, Unit 8
Ottawa, ON K2E 8A9
(613) 260-1456 Fax
We thank all applicants who apply, but only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.